Sunday, March 24, 2013

Family Size Pot of Hot Cocoa

So it's March 24th, 4 days into spring, and we have several inches of snow on the ground and more coming. Mother Nature missed the memo that its supposed to be spring. It has been snowing off and on since about 10:30 this morning. After the kids got up from their naps they were begging to go outside to play in the snow. We did go out to make a snowman, it was good wet sticky snow perfect for snowman building. After the snowman was built, snow angels made, and a snowball fight I was the first one inside. I started getting hot chocolate ready for everyone. I have stopped buying premade hot chocolate since I can make it myself with just a few ingredients that I always have on hand. I have an old magazine from a 1997 Taste of Home cooking school that we attended at Mt.Vernon Township High School with a simple hot cocoa recipe in it. I can hardly find the front cover due to it being constantly opened to the hot cocoa recipe. I also make a big batch using these same equivalents to make chocolate creamer for my coffee by adding dry milk powder and a little bit of corn starch.

Family Size Hot Cocoa

  • 5 cups Milk
  • 4 Tbsp Sugar (heaping)
  • 2 Tbsp Cocoa (heaping)
  • Pinch of Salt
  • Marshmallows
Add 4 3/4 cups of milk to a sauce pan, start warming on med/high. Whisk together sugar, cocoa, and salt in the remaining milk until well blended, it takes a lot of stirring, and add to the warming milk and whisk until all dissolved. Heat through but not boiling. Serve with marshmallows.



No comments:

Post a Comment