Monday, March 4, 2013

My First Post and a Recipe

Welcome! I've got a confession to make first, I may post recipes that I have used or have found but please understand that my recipes are road maps not contracts. I tweak almost every single recipe I have in one way or another and hardly ever the same way twice. Also some recipes I quickly wrote down without making any references to where I found it, so please forgive me if I have used one of your recipes without giving you proper credit.
After lots of thought, I  have chosen to give you my favorite recipe for muffins. It has been tweaked so many times and turned into several different flavors, and so many options to make them healthier. I will do the original recipe then tell you about how to tweak it to add more nutrients

Blueberry Muffins
Preheat oven to 400°  | Makes 1 dozen  | Bake 20-25 min

Combine the dry ingredients
1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour (or combination of whole wheat, unbleached AP flour, white whole wheat)
3/4 cup Sugar (can be cut down to 2/3 cup)
1/2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Baking powder

In a 1 cup measuring cup add:
1/3 cup Veg Oil (or melted coconut oil, applesauce, flax meal, or any combination of)
1 egg
and enough milk to fill up the 1 cup: about 1/3 cup (add a bit more milk if using all whole wheat flour)

Combine dry and wet ingredients until just moistened
Fold in 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Mix up topping: handful of oats (old fashioned or rolled) and 2 tablespoon of brown sugar.

Spray muffin tin or use muffin cups, divide batter into 12 muffins. Add topping to each muffin.

Bake 400° 20-25 min or until toothpick comes out clean.

These can be put in a freezer bag and frozen then reheated in the morning for a quick breakfast, but at my house they don't last that long. I do believe that I found this recipe on the side of the box that a blueberry plant came in.

Enjoy!





2 comments:

  1. Great job! I look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny!

    I am enjoying your blog very much! I am inspired by your prepping and make ahead ideas, I like the links and especially like your personal tweaks. Pictures of your delicious recipes would be awesome. Keep up the good work on Mayflower Lane!

    ReplyDelete