Wednesday, March 6, 2013

My Mom's Smoked Sausage with Green Beans and Potatoes

When I was growing up my mom would fix smoked sausage with green beans and potatoes and honestly I wasn't a fan of it. She continues to make it for lunches and I have gotten to where I enjoy it now. I decided to finally try making it myself for my family. I just started winging it and it turned out just like moms. My husband liked it too! Win! My kids also eat it very well at grandmas and eat it great at home too. Here goes my recipe.

Smoked Sausage with Green Beans and Potatoes

1 package of Smoked Sausage, cut into 3 inch chunks (I use Eckrich Turkey Smoked Sausage)
3 slices of Bacon
4 Potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
2 cans Green Beans
Handful of onion (optional)

Drizzle a little olive oil in a skillet, add potatoes and cook on med/high heat until browned on both sides.
Add bacon and onions, cook a few minutes. Add green beans with their liquid (you can drain and rinse the green beans to lesson the sodium and use water instead). Add sausage. Lower heat to med/low. Cover and simmer until sausage is warmed through and potatoes are tender. Feel free to tweak it to your liking.

*Don't let the rest of the bacon go to waste. Bake it at 375 on a slotted baking sheet (broiler pan or metal cooling rack placed into a sheet pan) for about 18 minutes until crisp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment